Insider Report: DIY Carpet Care Tips
Carpeting a home isn’t cheap. An expert shares tips for effective carpet stain removal and drying water-logged carpets to keep your carpet looking good for as long as possible.
You don’t have to worry about stains and water damage ruining your carpeting if you take the proper steps to correct these problems if they occur.
Read on to learn how to remove just about every carpet stain imaginable and some do’s and don’ts for dealing with water-damaged carpet.
DIY Carpet Care: Stain Removal
First, blot or scrape up the excess of any spill. Be sure to preset the removal method on an area of fabric or carpet that cannot be seen.
Then proceed with the spot carpet cleaning outline below for individual stains.
Butter, Cooking Oil, Crayon, Hand Lotion, Mascara, Shoe Polish, Tar
Gently apply a commercial solvent and blot carefully to absorb all the spill. Then, apply a mild detergent solution. Blot up excess again. Then wipe gently with a cloth soaked with water and blot dry.
Sign Up for Savings
Subscribe to get money-saving content by email that can help you stretch your dollars further.
Twice each week, you'll receive articles and tips that can help you free up and keep more of your hard-earned money, even on the tightest of budgets.
We respect your privacy. Unsubscribe at any time.
Blood, Catsup, Chocolate, Mud, Egg, Ice Cream, Mayonnaise, Milk, Soy Sauce
Apply a mild detergent solution. Blot to absorb the excess. Apply a small amount of ammonia and blot again. Then repeat this time with a mild detergent and blot again. Wipe gently with a cloth soaked with water and blot dry.
Beer, Berries, Candy, Coffee, Fruit Juices, Mixed Drinks, Soft Drinks, Wine
Apply a mild detergent solution. Blot to absorb the excess. Apply a small amount of vinegar and the detergent once again. Blot. Then wipe gently with a cloth soaked with water and blot dry.
If none of the recommended steps work, you might wish to enlist the services of an expert. Be aware that do-it-yourself cleaning efforts might render the stain difficult for even an expert to remove. See 7 Ways To Save on Carpet Cleaning.
DIY Carpet Care: Water Damage Cleaning
- Remove as much water as possible by mopping or sweeping.
- Wipe furniture dry and block it up to allow the base to dry.
- Lift draperies off the carpet, loop through a coat hanger, and place the hanger on the drapery rod.
- Remove wet area rugs or other loose floor coverings.
- Open furniture drawers, closet doors, and luggage to enhance drying.
- Move photos, paintings, and art objects to a safe, dry location.
- Remove wet fabrics and dry them as soon as possible.
- Remove damp books from shelves and spread them out to dry.
- Do not use an ordinary household vacuum to remove water.
- Do not use electrical appliances while on wet carpet or wet floors.
- Do not go into rooms with standing water if the electricity is still on.
- Do not lift tacked-down carpet without professional help. Lifting the carpet incorrectly could damage the backing.
Reviewed October 2023
- 7 Habits of Highly Frugal People
- 5 Simple Budget Cuts That Can Save $200 a Month
- How to Track Down Unclaimed Funds Owed You
- 32 Ways to Save Money on Your Utility Bills
- Do You Need Credit Life Insurance When Buying a New Car?
- How to Maximize Profits When Selling Online
- Staying Motivated to Continue Digging Yourself Out of Debt
- 9 Things You Need to Do Before You Retire
- You Didn’t Save Enough for Retirement and You’re 55+
- When Empty Nesters Reorganize and Declutter Their Home
- Reinventing Your Career in Your 50s or 60s
- What Mature Homeowners Should Know about Reverse Mortgages
- 2 Reasons to Collect Social Security Benefits As Soon As Possible